On July 8th, one of the architects of the Tea Party will be hosting a $50,000 a plate dinner for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney in our own backyard, and the Long Island Progressive Coalition needs your help to crash their party.
David Koch, a billionaire funder to some of the most conservatives causes in the country, has organized the fundraiser in yet another egregious example of how corporations are undermining the foundation of our democracy. Koch and his brother Charles have a long history of working against the interest of the majority of the country, including:
- Funding the push for the union-busting legislation that hit Wisconsin in 2011
- Pumping millions into the fight against expanded healthcare access, through their political action group, Americans for Prosperity
- Giving nearly $100 million to right-wing think tanks, who then push their regressive policies on legislators in both Washington and across the country
- Making billions of dollars in profit from the oil business through their company, Koch Industries, yet has had more than 300 spills in 6 states, and in 2000 were given the biggest federal fine ever levied against a US corporation up until that time.
- Supporting Citizens United, legislation which opened the floodgates for corporations to influence elections
Only July 8th, a coalition of groups including LIPC will protest their beachfront fundraiser, to denounce the Koch influence in politics.
While a number of buses will be carrying protestors from New York City, Long Islanders who are driving in should arrive at 3pm at Stony Brook University’s Southhampton Branch, which is located at 65 Tuckahoe Road(see the attached map). From here, people will be shuttled to a meeting point near the Koch house. The fundraiser starts at 5pm, and we expect to leave by around 7pm.
This is an opportunity to let David Koch and conservatives like him know that Long Island won’t stand by while they use our island to raise money for policies that work against us.
Can we count on your support?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call David Segal at 516.541.1006 ext. 15 to RSVP!